BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
CRESCENT CITY, CA 95531
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
of Supervisors of the
A closed session may be held at some time during the meeting to discuss litigation and/or personnel matters. There is a 90-day statute of limitations relating to decisions rendered after a public hearing of the Board of Supervisors and a 60-day statute of limitations relating to ministerial actions of the Board of Supervisors. NOTE: If you challenge the decision of the Board of Supervisors in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in the notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors at, or prior to, the public hearing. (Govt. Code § 65009). When providing written correspondence to the Board of Supervisors you must provide a copy to the Clerk of the Board for inclusion in the official record.
Present: Leslie McNamer, Martha McClure, Michael Sullivan, Gerry Hemmingsen and David Finigan
CLOSED SESSION 8:30 A.M.
Public Comment on Closed Session items only.
Hold a closed session to consider and discuss litigation and personnel matters: I) Personnel negotiations pursuant to Government Code 54957.6 between County negotiator the County Administrative Officer and the Del Norte County Employees' Association, Sheriffs Employees' Association, represented and unrepresented bargaining units. II) Conference with legal counsel – A) Existing litigation pursuant to Government code 54956.9(a); Lorenz v. Del Norte County, CVUJ 11-1053;Trinity Perry, Del Norte Superior Court, CVPT 11-1304
B) Anticipated litigation: 1) significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(b) - two cases; 2) Initiation of litigation Conference with Legal Counsel pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(c) - 1 case. Public Employee DISCIPLINE/DISMISSAL/RELEASE (1) Deputy District Attorney( GC 54954.5 and 54957). Pursuant to Gov’t Code 54997, conduct annual evaluation of the Director of Information Technology and the Building Maintenance Superintendent. Discussion regarding Real Property Negotiations with the City of Crescent City regarding Sunset Circle.
REGULAR SESSION 10:00 A.M.
10:00 A.M. Call the meeting to order and take roll.
· The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag led by Supervisor Hemmingsen.
Action: Supervisor Hemmingsen led the Pledge of Allegiance.
· Introduction of new employees to the Board of Supervisors.
Action: Kevin Hamblin, Director of Community Development, introduced Jeff Mitchell as the new Building Inspector.
of any actions from closed session by
Action: County Counsel stated no reportable actions from Closed Session.
· The Chair requests any deletions, corrections or additions from Board members to the agenda at this time. In order to add an item to the agenda, the matter must have come to the attention of the County subsequent to the posting of the agenda and the matter requires action before the next regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
Action: Chair McNamer stated that the next Board of Supervisors' meeting is canceled.
Item #3 was pulled from the agenda.
1. Receive other brief reports or announcements relative to County of Del Norte programs and projects, progress of the two by two committees, goal committees and/or Board and staff travel/training reports. The Board may ask questions for clarification; make a referral to staff to take action to have a matter or business placed on a future agenda pursuant to Government Code 54954.2(a).
Action: Supervisor Finigan reported on attending the CSAC Annual Conference in San Francisco regarding realignment, redistricting, budget, new social media, and leadership; attending a CSAC Board of Directors meetings, attending a Rural County Caucus meeting, commented that elections were held and he was selected by the Rural Caucus to be their delegate as an officer as well as being voted First Vice-President of the California State Association of Supervisors. He also reported on attending an RCRC meeting regarding AB885, legislation, State Responsibility Fire Areas, proposed building standards, legislative reports regarding AB628-Combined Use Roads, and service transportation reauthorization. He also commented that he wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Supervisor McClure reported on attending a Redwood Coast Transit Authority meeting, attending the Point St. George discussion on coastal trails, attending a Senior Board meeting and commented that they are fully funded due to assistance from Assemblymember Wes Chesbro, attending a Coastal Commission meeting, and asked that the Board concur to send a letter to Congressman Thompson applauding his position against the illegal marijuana grows in the National Forests.
Supervisor Sullivan reported on attending a meeting with Reweti
Wiki from Cal Endowment regarding school district reform, commented that he
spent Thanksgiving out of town with family, attending the CSAC annual
conference regarding: the Housing Land Use Transportation Policy Committee,
California Coastal Counties Association, pension reform, realignment, and a
constitutional protection update. He also commented on speaking with
Supervisor Hemmingsen reported on attending a Local Area Formation Commission meeting, attending a meeting with Stewart Knox, Executive Director of NORTEC regarding the tsunami workforce, attending an RC&D meeting, attending a Border Coast Regional Airport Authority meeting and commented that the EIR was submitted, attending a meeting with Kevin Hamblin regarding RS2477 roads, attending meetings with constituents regarding Solid Waste, attending a meeting with ranchers regarding agricultural ditches, attending a Local Mental Health Board meeting, commented on touring the new offices for the Transitional Age Youth Program, commented on spending Thanksgiving in McCloud, and commented on getting a flu shot.
Supervisor McNamer reported on missing a Local Area Formation meeting, attending her last CMSP meeting, and attending agenda review.
2. 10:20 A.M.COMMENT PERIOD: Members of the public may address the Board on matters which are within the jurisdiction of the Board. If you are addressing the Board regarding a matter listed on the agenda, you may be asked to hold your comments until the Board takes up that matter. Please limit your comments to three minutes or less.
Action: Public Comment was given by Richard Miles.
3. 10:30 A.M. Conduct a Public Hearing for an Immediate Rezone, APN 126-180-27, Baskin and Green, from Timberland Production Zone (TPZ) to Agriculture-Forestry (AF) as requested by the County Assessor.** Document
Action: Louise Wilson,
This item was pulled from the agenda.
Action: Mark Lancaster and Sandra Perez gave presentation and outline the following points:5C Program Goal, Program Background, Fish Passage Improvement, Water Quality and Training, Field Assessment of Management Practices for Protecting Anadromous Salmonid Habitat in Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Siskiyou, and Trinity Counties; land development, stream bank stabilization, storm damage repair, road maintenance and repair, stream crossings, and emergency projects.
Supervisor McClure made a comment about the destruction from illegal marijuana grows.
Supervisor Hemmingsen asked about projects specifically in the Del Norte area.
Mark Lancaster stated that there were six projects coming in the
years 2012 and 2013 including
Comments from members of the public may be heard at this time regarding matters on the Consent Agenda only.
Action: Supervisors Hemmingsen and Sullivan recused themselves from Item #16 due to conflict of interest.
Supervisor Sullivan pulled Item 6 from the agenda for separate discussion.
After discussion, it was decided that the item be brought back before the Board at the next Board meeting, after a Treasury Oversight Committee meeting had been held.
Public Comment was given by Christin McCollum, Executive Director of the Del Norte Child Care Council on Item #13.
Public Comment was also given by Richard Miles on Item #13.
The Board pulled Item #13 to be brought back before the Board at the next meeting.
On a motion by Supervisor McClure, and seconded by Supervisor Finigan, the Board approved the Consent Agenda (Items #5, #7-12, #13-23).
Motion: Move to approve
Move: Martha McClure
Second: David Finigan
Vote Yea: 5 Martha McClure, David Finigan, Leslie McNamer, Michael Sullivan, Gerry Hemmingsen
Vote Nay: 0 None
Vote Abstain: 0 None
6. Review and approve the Treasurer's 2012 Statement of Investment Policy and Adopt the Resolution of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Del Norte Delegating Investment Authority to the County Treasurer as requested by the Treasurer-Tax Collector.** Document
Action: This item was pulled from the Agenda.
Direction was given that a Treasury Oversight Committee meeting be held before the item is brought back before the Board.
7. Approve and adopt the Resolution to Vacate a drainage easement at the end of Vipond Lane pursuant to Streets and Highways Code 8330 et seq. and (2) Accept the grant of an alternate easement as requested by the Deputy Director of Engineering & Roads.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Resolution 2011-069)
8. Review and approve the Third Amendment to the Border Coast Regional Airport Authority's Joint Powers Agreement which adds the Smith River Rancheria as a full member as requested by the Airport Director.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO 2011-190)
10. Approve the appointment of Daphane Williams as a County Board of Supervisors appointed Public Agency member of the Local Planning Council for Child Care & Development as an interim replacement with the term ending June 30, 2012 as requested by the Coordinator of the LPC.** Document
13. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the Agreement for Stage One Childcare Services with the Del Norte Child Care Council (DNCCC), for the period July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012, not to exceed $353,169.00 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.** Document
Action: This item was pulled from the agenda. Direction was given for both parties of the contract to agree on the entire contract, and bring it back before the Board for approval.
14. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the second Amendment to the Agreement with Kings View Corporation to provide additional Telepsychiatric Services as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2011-191)
15. Approve and authorize: (1) The Chair to sign an Agreement with the State of California to Implement the Community Nutrition Expansion Pilot Project (CNEPP) totaling $250,000.00 from November 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012; and (2) The Chair to sign an Agreement with the County of Siskiyou to implement their portion of CNEPP for $75,000.00; (3) authorize the Chair to sign an Agreement with the County of Trinity to implement their portion of CNEPP for $73,827.00; (4) establish new Vocational Assistant I/II within the Public Assistance/Employment & Training Branch (PA/E&T), Range 20/23; and (5) establish a new Health Education Coordinator within the Public Health Branch, Range 46 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreements 2011-192, 2011-193, 2011-194)
16. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a Lease Agreement with Crescent City Properties, LLC., for office space located at 475 K Street, Crescent City, CA, for the period of November 1, 2011 to October 31, 2014, not to exceed $63,823.68 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.** Document
Action: Supervisors Hemmingsen and Sullivan recused themselves from this item due to conflict of interest.
Approved (DNCO Agreement 2011-195)
17. Approve the proposed Agreement for Services with Curry Transfer & Recycling dba Roto-Rooter, and authorize the Chairman of the Board to sign it as requested by the Deputy Director of Engineering & Roads.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2011-196)
Action: Approved (DNCO Resolution 2011-070)
19. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign (page 36) the attached deferred compensation plan which will continue our plan with The Hartford and make required legislative updates as requested by the Auditor/Controller.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Resolution 2011-071) (DNCO Agreement 2011-197)
20. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign an agreement between the County of Del Norte and Sutter Coast Hospital for Blood Draw Services as requested by the County Administrative Officer.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2011-199)
21. Approve the Request for Proposals for Broker Services for Health Benefits and authorize staff to issue the RFP soliciting proposals from interested vendors as requested by the County Administrative Officer.** Document
22. Approve the reclassification of the half-time Office Assistant II position within the District Attorney's office and the Victim Witness Office from Office Assistant II to Legal Clerk I as requested by the District Attorney.** Document
23. Approve and authorize the Sheriff to enter into the Miscellaneous Equipment Contract #11-204-761 with the State of California, Department of Boating and Waterway and the Del Norte County Sheriff's Department as requested by the Sheriff-Coroner.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2011-198)
24. Discuss and take possible action regarding a request for a donation of Redwood wainscoting to the St. George Reef Lighthouse Preservation Society for restoration of the St. George Reef Lighthouse as requested by the Work Coordinator.** Document
Action: Jay Sarina, County Administrative Officer, presented the item. He stated that direction was needed from the Board to have staff meet with the Society in order to specify the amount of wainscoting needed. The Board so directed.
Public Comment was given by Richard Miles.
Action: ALL bUDGET TRANSFERS WERE TAKEN AS ONE ITEM.
On a motion by Supervisor Sullian and seconded by Supervisor Hemmingsen, the Board approved Budget Transfers (11-03, 11-04, 12-01, 12-02, 12-03, 12-04, 12-05, 12-06, 12-07).
Motion: Move to approve
Move: Michael Sullivan
Second: Gerry Hemmingsen
Vote Yea: 5 Michael Sullivan, Gerry Hemmingsen, Leslie McNamer, Martha McClure, David Finigan
Vote Nay: 0 None
Vote Abstain: 0 None
LEGISLATIVE AND BUDGET ISSUES:
34. Consider miscellaneous legislative and budget matters pertinent to the County of Del Norte. Authorize the Chair to sign and send appropriate letters with respect to matters pending before the state or federal governments.
Action: Jay Sarina, County Administrative Officer, stated that some issues included SRS and upcoming trigger cuts by the Governor.
Supervisor Finigan commented on the Executive Order that was issued by the Governor directing the state’s agencies and departments to review the approximately 2,600 annual reports they are required to submit to the Legislature, and identify those that are no longer useful or necessary.
Action: Jay Sarina presented this item.
On a motion by Supervisor Finigan and seconded by Supervisor McClure, the Board approved and authorized the Chair to sign the letter regarding the National Flood Insurance Program.
Motion: Move to approve
Move: David Finigan
Second: Martha McClure
Vote Yea: 5 David Finigan, Martha McClure, Leslie McNamer, Michael Sullivan, Gerry Hemmingsen
Vote Nay: 0 None
Vote Abstain: 0 None
Action: Jay Sarina, County Administrative Officer, commented on the material removal from the Klamath Townsite Boat Launch.
Action: The Board adjourned at 11:46 A.M.
Jeremi Ruiz, Clerk of the Board
THE AGENDA AND ACTION SUMMARY ARE AVAILABLE ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE: www.co.del-norte.ca.us