BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
of Supervisors of the
A closed session may be held at some time during the meeting to discuss litigation and/or personnel matters. There is a 90-day statute of limitations relating to decisions rendered after a public hearing of the Board of Supervisors and a 60-day statute of limitations relating to ministerial actions of the Board of Supervisors. NOTE: If you challenge the decision of the Board of Supervisors in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in the notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors at, or prior to, the public hearing. (Govt. Code § 65009). When providing written correspondence to the Board of Supervisors you must provide a copy to the Clerk of the Board for inclusion in the official record.
CLOSED SESSION 8:30 A.M.
Public Comment on Closed Session items only.
Hold a closed session to consider and discuss litigation and personnel matters: I) Personnel negotiations pursuant to Government Code 54957.6 between County negotiator the County Administrative Officer and the Del Norte County Employees' Association, Sheriffs Employees' Association, represented and unrepresented bargaining units. II) Conference with legal counsel – A) Existing litigation pursuant to Government code 54956.9(a), David L. Elsebusch v. Del Norte, DN Superior Court, Case No. CVCV06-2313; and Coyle v. James Marmon, et al., DN Superior Court Case No. CVPM07-1572; Jones & Jones v. County of Del Norte, et. seq. US District Court, Northern District # cv 08 3222BZ; Wigley v. Del Norte CVPI 06-1401; Chisman v. County US Dist Ct, Northern Cal Dist, # C084793MMC; Haley v. County, US Dist Ct, Northern Cal Dist, # CV084572WHA; Dickson v. County CV-UJ-08-0001485; PSSCWD v. LAFCo, Del Norte Superior Ct., CVPT08-1380; JHP LLC v Japp, Del Norte Superior Ct No. 09-1438; B) Anticipated litigation: 1) significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(b) - two cases; 2) Initiation of litigation Conference with Legal Counsel pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(c) - 1 case. Public Employee DISCIPLINE/DISMISSAL/RELEASE (1) ( GC 54954.5 AND 54957).
REGULAR SESSION 10:00 A.M.
10:00 A.M. Call the meeting to order and take roll.
· The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag led by Supervisor McNamer.
· Introduction of new employees to the Board of Supervisors.
of any actions from closed session by
· The Chair requests any deletions, corrections or additions from Board members to the agenda at this time. In order to add an item to the agenda, the matter must have come to the attention of the County subsequent to the posting of the agenda and the matter requires action before the next regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
1. Receive other brief reports or announcements relative to County of Del Norte programs and projects, progress of the two by two committees, goal committees and/or Board and staff travel/training reports. The Board may ask questions for clarification; make a referral to staff to take action to have a matter or business placed on a future agenda pursuant to Government Code 54954.2(a).
2. 10:25 A.M. COMMENT PERIOD: Members of the public may address the Board on matters which are within the jurisdiction of the Board. If you are addressing the Board regarding a matter listed on the agenda, you may be asked to hold your comments until the Board takes up that matter. Please limit your comments to three minutes or less.
3. 10:30 A.M. Approve and adopt a RESOLUTION OF THE DEL NORTE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PROCLAIMING THE MONTH OF MAY 2010 AS EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION MONTH and acknowledge employees who have reached five-year increments in their employments.
Comments from members of the public may be heard at this time regarding matters on the Consent Agenda only.
7. Approve and authorize the Director of Community Development to hire an applicant for the Assistant County Engineer position at the B-step of the corresponding salary range as requested by the Director of Community Development.**
8. Approve an annual step increase within the corresponding salary range for Debbie Mayhue, Director of Child Support Services, effective January 2, 2010 as requested by the County Administrative Officer.**
10. Approve the application to the California Emergency Management Agency Monies for the Victim Witness Program, and adopt the Resolution for the continuing implementation of this program within the District Attorney's Officer as requested by the District Attorney.**
11. Approve and adopt the Memorandum of Understanding with the Del Norte County Employees Association/SEIU Local 2021 effective October 1, 2009 to coincide with the expiration of the previous agreement as requested by the County Administrative Officer.**
12. Approve and authorize the Sheriff to enter into an agreement with the Drug Enforcement Administration to defray the costs related to the eradication and suppression of illicit marijuana as requested by the Sheriff-Coroner.**
14. Approve a RESOLUTION APPROVING THE APPLICATION AND AUTHORIZING EXECUTION OF A GRANT CONTRACT WITH THE CALIFORNIA ARTS COUNCIL and a RESOLUTION EXPRESSING APPRECIATION AND COMMENDATION FOR THE MANY ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THE DEL NORTE ASSOCIATION FOR CULTURAL AWARENESS.**
15. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting SB 1091 by Senator Loni Hancock, allowing counties to draw down federal funding to help defray the cost of providing medical care to juveniles awaiting adjudication in county facilities as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
16. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting AB 2698 which provides assistance to foster youth who may have been victims of identity theft as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
17. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting SB 1099, giving counties the flexibility to use federal child care funding for foster youth and other at-risk children as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
18. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting AB 2645 to conform the reimbursement rates for Institutions for Mental Disease (IMD) services to the nursing home rates that were frozen in the Budget Act of 2009 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
19. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting AB 1905 to ensure the continuity of federal funding to relative foster homes by simplifying to State's reassessment regulations as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
20. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter supporting the Community Health Alliance of Humboldt-Del Norte's (CHA) proposal to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to eliminate diabetes-related disparities in vulnerable populations as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
22. Direct staff to submit a letter requesting augmentation of the existing budget for tasks associated with the Point Saint George Improvement Project in the amount of $51,000.00 as requested by the County Administrative Officer.**
25. Consider the adoption (third reading) of an Ordinance adding Subchapter 14.30 to Chapter 14 of the County Code relating to the implementation of a policy for providing a preference for small businesses in awarding bids for public contracts.
28. Direct staff to submit the draft Resolution of the Initial Review of a Proposed Amendment to Resolution No. 2009-020 Establishing Various Parking Regulations Governing Violations, Citations, and Fines for the Purpose of Regulating the Parking of Commercial Vehicles on Public Streets as requested by the Deputy Director of Building and Planning.**
29. Award the contract for the overlay on Lake Earl Drive between Elk Valley Cross Road and Buzzini Road to Hemmingsen Construction, and authorize the Chairman of the Board to sign it; and authorize the County Engineer to sign individual change orders up to Ten Percent (10%) of the contract award as requested by the Deputy Director of Roads and Engineering.**
LEGISLATIVE AND BUDGET ISSUES:
33. Consider miscellaneous legislative and budget matters pertinent to the County of Del Norte. Authorize the Chair to sign and send appropriate letters with respect to matters pending before the state or federal governments.
Jeremi Ruiz, Clerk of the Board
THE AGENDA AND ACTION SUMMARY ARE AVAILABLE ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE: www.co.del-norte.ca.us